Thursday 4 October 2012

What does cinema do for me

When I, as a consumer and an impressionable socialite, going to the cinema often for me is based around the advertisements for the film.
If when viewing the advert, it breaks the imagination boundaries, or looks exhilarating as a concept I will be more inclined to go see it than an advert that looks tedious or too packed. Often when film advertisements show all action no story, it's showing every bit of action in the film therefore when I actually see it I've already seen all the exciting bits.
Also, if the film looks like it will confuse the audience, or requires a lot of thought to made sense of the story-line I will watch it so I can draw my own conclusion as to the way it's supposed to be.

Recent films such as Dredd or Total Recall had adverts which previewed both action and story, therefore giving me enough information to be interested in the film, and enough action for me to think it's going to be an exciting cinema experience rather than bore me.

Also, both of these recent films are remakes of the older films. This again interested me as I wanted to see how they differed and which I would prefer. As a post modernist, I preferred the newer versions as they had new technology and different techniques (For example - Dredd played around with slow motion shots that also changed the shot style. When in the slow motion clips it had sparkling air and seemed more shiny and refined. The rest of the film was dark and gloomy.) 
I like to leave the cinema, thinking about how the different techniques, or confusing story-line made for a great cinema experience. I like to know that having seen the advert, it brought me to the right film rather than showing me something that looks decent enough, and then being a let down after paying to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment