Thursday 8 November 2012

Area/ locations/ Lighting

For my short film, I need a large field, a street that doesn't have many car's, a street with a bench, and a tall/ accessible building (Possibly a car park).

I'm in conflict with two ideas. I can either try to find most of these area's close together to allow almost constant filming. Going from the field, straight out onto a street and then up a car park. 

Or I could just choose specific locations, and just move between each. Going from a field, then moving location to a place that may be a while away and filming there. 
I have a feeling, it will be better for continuity to choose area's close together, and potentially modify the film to allow the setting to be right. However some of the locations I want may be far away, so for a better looking film in terms of set it may be better just to choose locations and edit it to give continuity. 

Also timing of shot's will need to be almost perfect, as lighting is essential. If I film one shot early in the morning, and film the shot that will go earlier in the film later in the day the lighting will be wrong and completely throw away continuity. 

I want the film to be pretty light, as it will give a better look. Also there is a larger chance there will be less people around. 
However this will give difficulties in terms of getting actors. 
I could possibly film midday, as it will still be very light but there will be a lot of the public walking around, making it impossible for me to film 'the last man on earth'. 

For the tall building of which Brian runs up the stairs and jumps off the edge, I most probably will use Anglia square car park. This is because it's easily accessible, and can give a good view from the top.

There are a couple of fields that I could use, for example Catton Park may be good as it is large and some area's are empty for long periods of time. 
Another field would be one in Mousehold as again they might be empty for a while, and because they are smaller than Catton Park it could give an easier transaction to the street shot. 
For the street shot I could use a street directly off the field, however these may be highly populated giving extreme difficulty to film a desolate area. I may need to find a back street, or an industrial location as both of these will be almost empty of people. 

If I want to film almost continuously, I could use Slough-bottom park, as it's close to Anglia square. This means, I can come off Slough-bottom park, onto the backstreet that leads towards Anglia square, then across the ground level car park and up the multi story car park. Also, there is a seating area between the backstreet and the ground level car park so that's almost all of the scenes covered. 

However, the backstreet may not have any cars at all, therefore I won't be able to get the 'Over the roof of the car scene'. 
Other than that, I think this may be my best chance at continuity between all of the scenes, and depending on the time most of the area's might be empty. Midday is when most people are at school, therefore the park will probably be empty, and many people will be at work so the backstreet and seating area may also be empty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment